A small School, big on heart, big on ambition
- Scotland’s oldest boarding school, founded in 1827.
- One of UK’s leading independent boarding and day schools, welcoming girls and boys aged 0 to 18.
- One of the UK’s leading independent schools, with outstanding results at GSCE and A-Level.
- More than nine pupils out of 10 achieve places at their chosen university, including Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews, Newcastle, and Durham. .
- Every pupil is known personally, and can grow and develop wherever their interests lie.
- A distinctive emphasis on the full development of the individual in mind, body and spirit.
Category: Pre-Preparatory, Preparatory, Senior, Sixth Form
Type: Day & Boarding
Religious Affiliation: Interdenominational
Roll: 303 Boys / 227 Girls
Age Range: 3-18 Years
Set in 85 acres of mature parkland on the southern shore of the Firth of Forth and within easy reach of M8. 20 mins by car to both Edinburgh airport and Edinburgh Waverley railway station.
School Contact Details
Headteacher: Dr Graham Hawley
Contact for enquiries:Vera Stewart, Admissions Manager
1-7 Linkfield Road , Musselburgh , East Lothian
Tel: General Enquiries: 0131 653 4444 Admissions: 0131 653 4455
• Set in a safe, leafy, spacious, 85 acre campus in Musselburgh; the school enjoys all the advantages of its rural setting.
• Globally connected, with the convenience and opportunities of being just 9 kilometres / 6 miles from Edinburgh, its international airport, rail and road networks.
• Welcoming about 600 girls and boys with an excellent staff to pupil ratio (1:7), every child is known and nurtured, 400 in the Senior School, 200 in the Junior School.
• Boarders (75% of Senior School pupils) reside in six Houses with all they need to feel at home and benefit from excellent pastoral care.
• Exceptional facilities, bespoke to learning and teaching, sport, drama, dance, art and music.
• A dedicated Sixth Form Centre.
• Extensive Sports programme with specialised coaches in major sports including Cricket, Hockey, Lacrosse, Rugby and more
• An industry-leading Golf Academy with indoor and outdoor centres, providing every pupil with an unmatched opportunity to develop their talent.
Senior School – Academic, Art, Drama, Golf, Music, Piping and Sports Scholarships are available. Means-tested bursaries up to 105% are also available.
Junior School – A range of Bursaries are available for entry to the Nippers, usually at 10+ and 11+. Occasional and Flexi Boarding are possible for pupils aged 11 and over.
Loretto School’s Admissions procedure aims to ensure that girls and boys who join Loretto are able to be happy, successful and secure within its academic, cultural and pastoral environment, whether they are boarders or day pupils.
Applications are accepted for entry into all years in Pre-School, Junior School and Senior School (except Year 13, the final year of schooling) subject to availability. Assessments usually start from Year 4 and each prospective pupil is assessed carefully prior to entry. Parents or guardians will be consulted throughout the process.
The selection criteria include provision of satisfactory evidence, through the School’s own age appropriate assessment tests, of academic ability sufficient to access the School curriculum, and a satisfactory reference from the applicant’s current school, coupled with a satisfactory recent school report. We recognise academic endeavour along with the importance of Art, Drama, Music, Sport and co-curricular activities, and enthusiasm in these fields is expected and encouraged.
For those applicants joining the School whose first language is not English, entry is usually subject to our own academic assessment, which involves basic tests in English as a Second Language, Mathematics and an interview, often via Skype.
2020/2021. Per term.
Senior school – Full Boarding: £7,750–£11,900; Flexi Boarding (3 nights p/w): £6,600–£9,875; Day (including meals): £5,900–£8,105.
Junior School – Years 4-7 Full Boarding £7,750; Year 7 Flexi Boarding (3 nights per week) £6,600; Day £3,200-£5,525.
Pre-School: Day. £2,833 per term.
Golf Academy: Senior Squad (Form 5 and 6) £2,250 per term. Junior Squad (Up to Form 4) £1,250 per term.
ESL lessons – please contact the school for details
All visits are welcome, please contact the school
Virtual Whole School Open Day: Saturday 6 Nov 2021 -
Virtual Tour – Follow our pupils on a guided tour of the School and listen to what they say about life at Loretto. Find out more from our Headmaster and teaching staff about our ambition for our young people.
To find out more, please contact our Admissions team on +44 (0)131 653 4455 or email email@example.com
Our next Open Day will take place online. We’re creating an interactive experience that you can enjoy from the comfort and safety of home.
Places are limited, so book yours now!
What’s been happening at the School?All posts by Loretto School
Latest news from Loretto
To view all the latest news from Loretto School please click HERERead more
Loretto School – The Haggis...
Posted: February 12th, 2020 The inspiration behind the lovely event on Saturday 11th January was for as many Loretto families as possible to learn the Reel of the 51st Highland division because Lieutenant Jimmy Atkinson of the 7th Arglls and a former Lorettonian created and originated the dance whilst he was a prisoner of war...Read more
Grand opening of Loretto Pre-School
Posted: September 19th, 2019 Loretto School launched its new Pre-School on Monday, 2 September 2019. Mr. Peter McCutcheon, Chair of Board of Governors, was delighted to cut the ribbon, and open the doors of the newly refurbished facility, specially designed for the education of children aged 3 to 5. Selected, experienced teaching staff will welcome...Read more
Best GCSE results in eight...
Posted: September 19th, 2019 We are delighted to report the success of our pupils in their GCSE examinations. With 94.3% pass and 45.4% top grades (in the 9-7 range), our pupils have achieved our best results since 2011 and 2015 respectively. Almost three quarters of our pupils (74%) have passed all their exams at grades...Read more
Impressive results in A-level and...
Posted: September 19th, 2019 We are pleased to report that our senior pupils have achieved impressive results in their A-level, with nearly three quarters attaining grades A*-C. In the first year of BTEC results, we are pleased to report a 100% pass rate with two pupils achieving Distinctions. Many pupils performed beyond expectations in achieving...Read more
Loretto – Second place in...
Congratulations Frederik, Andrew, Theo and Lorenzo! Our team of 2nd Form chemistry pupils secured the second place in the Salter’s Festival of Chemistry University Challenge, held at Heriot-Watt University The Festival provided an opportunity for our pupils to spend a day at Heriot-Watt University and take part in practical chemistry activities which are fun. A...Read more
Loretto Opens New Pre-School
Headmaster, Dr. Graham R. W. Hawley commented: ‘Loretto’s aim is to know and nurture children. With young children, especially, it is vital that a close bond is built between families and the school, to give children the confidence to establish their character as individuals. Our new Pre-School environment presents and promotes this personalised approach to...Read more